The Mercantile at Pistils Nursery is a carefully curated retail space. From one-of-a-kind finds to living works of art, we offer a diverse selection of goods, in large part produced by our small team or here in Portland by local artisans.
Our product line is diverse and ever-evolving. We strive to select goods that are aesthetically beautiful, functional and simple. Our mercantile currently features:
- Select edibles, like local honeys, mushroom-growing kits and kombucha-brewing kits.
- Jewelry. We’ve cultivated a beautiful collection of handmade work from some of Portland’s very best artists.
- Our Apothecary features both beautiful handmade personal care products like soaps, bath salts, aromatherapeutic sprays, hair oils and balms, and traditional teas, tonics and tinctures.
- Our Glassware selection is unmatched. From tiny test tubes, to hanging globes, to large tabletop pieces, our glass is as varied as it is extensive.
- Home goods, like fine metalwork–like hooks, shears and hand-forged knives–textiles and classic enamelware.
- Pottery. From tiny terra cotta, to large, fine-art pieces, to locally-made ceramics, our pottery selection is ever-changing and always beautiful. We’ll help you find the perfect vessel to match your indoor or outdoor plant, and will even pot it for you!
- Lighting. In a wide array of shapes and styles, our light fixtures and lanterns help create the perfect ambiance for your space.
- Books about style, home and design, garden, fermentation, preserving, and much more.
Check out what’s currently featured on our blog to learn about our latest product offerings. We pride ourselves in forming lasting partnerships with our local artistans, and often bring them in for special events and trunk shows.
LIVING WORKS OF ART
Our living art pieces are as beautiful and exotic as they are unique. From suspended Kokedama String Gardens–traditional bonsais in which a tropical plant is bound in a green moss sphere–to Epiphytic Wall Plaques–tiny swatches of foliage cut from the jungle–to Mounted Staghorn and Moosehorn Ferns–often wrapped in vintage burlap for a rustic touch–to Marimo Moss–underwater environments featuring spherical moss balls–a living art piece from Pistils transforms any space.
Over the years, Pistils has gained a reputation as the definitive source for the well-designed terrarium. In these interior landscapes, a mysterious and beautiful alchemy occurs in which the natural world and the realm of art harmonize seamlessly. We offer a broad and ever-changing variety of distinctive terrariums in glass forms of all shapes and sizes — from timeless hanging globes to beautiful, locally-made, hand-blown tabletop pieces.
A vintage apothecary chest — each compartment of over 70 drawers filled with mosses, rocks, sands, lichen, figurines and our latest discoveries — is at the heart of the Pistils Nursery experience. Whether you’re making your own terrarium in the shop, gathering materials for an at-home project, crafting a one-of-a-kind gift for a loved-one, or simply having fun, our Terrarium Bar is a beautiful place to explore, learn and discover.
Let Pistils help you create your own, custom-made terrarium. We offer terrarium-building workshops that walk you through the steps involved — we’ll provide the vessel, instruction, tools, plants and other materials you’ll need to create your very own interior landscape. And of course, if you can’t make a workshop, our staff are always willing to guide you through the terrarium-building process in the store.